To be able to build new power lines or substations, we need space, regardless of whether it’s an overhead line or underground cable. This may entail certain restrictions on use of the property, i.e. land, by owners or tenants. That’s why it is particularly important for them to exploit their opportunities to participate in the planning of grid expansion.

What restrictions on use can arise?

The areas affected by the power line can usually be used as before. Within a technically required protective strip, owners and tenants are subject to a number of conditions. These concern, for example, future development and agricultural or forestry use. All actions and types of work that could endanger operation of the power line are prohibited.

Overhead line route Underground cable route
Existing buildings remain untouched (preservation of the status quo) Existing buildings remain untouched (preservation of the status quo)
Ban on construction; new development is possible in justified individual cases, provided that the technical and other regulations are complied with General ban on construction (access for repair work must be guaranteed)
No planting of trees and shrubs that can reach a height that could be hazardous to the power lines or require regular pruning No planting of deep-rooting trees or shrubs

Do landowners or tenants receive compensation?

The law states that landowners and tenants are to be compensated financially for permitting a power line to cross their land. Before we begin individual negotiations, we usually coordinate positions regarding compensation and other contractual arrangements in a framework agreement with the respective farmers’ association.

On this basis, we begin negotiations with the individual property owners. In a face-to-face meeting, Amprion representatives discuss the project with the owner and explain the contractual arrangements and compensation positions. Amprion then submits a draft agreement. Following conclusion of the contract, the rights-of-way agreed are entered in the land register as so-called “limited personal easement”.

What is compensation paid for?

  • Rights-of-way in the land register (easement)
  • Obstacles to normal cultivation and loss of use (e. g. at locations where pylons are erected, signposts)
  • Damage to land and vegetation, additional expenditure during the construction period (transection damage) as well as restoration of the areas (provided this is done by owners or tenants)
  • Rights to EU subsidies forfeited
  • Consequential damage (loss of earnings in subsequent years)

How high are the compensation payments?

For entry of the rights-of-way in the land register, landowners receive compensation for the reduction in market value, which is determined on the basis of the local market values. The other positions concerning compensation are based on arrangements made with the farmers’ associations or requirements laid down by the Chambers of Agriculture.